Ortho K involves the fitting of individualised, custom-made, rigid contact lenses which are worn each night and removed the following morning. These lenses are comfortable to wear and do not interfere with the sleep pattern. On removing the lens in the morning the moulding of the Cornea by the contact lens corrects the Myopic error. This results in excellent vision through the day. The advantages of Ortho K are:
It is now possible to slow down the development of Myopia (Short Sightedness). We have now been fitting Ortho K lenses for several years with great success.
- Full visual freedom throughout the day.
- Reduced risk of losing a lens.
- Excellent results for patients with mild dry eyes
- Up to 60% reduction in the rate of Myopia development
- Excellent for children from the age of 8 upwards.
The only disadvantage at the present time is that Ortho K can only be used for patients with the prescription of -0.75ds to -3.50ds with a small degree of Astigmatism. Ortho K is now the preferred choice at correcting vision of children who are developing Myopia.